Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Dangling Conversation

Scene: two 15 year old girls sitting down on the Stratford Station platform today. They had their legs dangling over the edge just as our train was pulling onto the platform. Luckily our engineer had quick reflexes and applied the brakes in time.
Me (agitated): Girls, What were you thinking? You could have gotten your legs chopped off...or worse!
Girls: We’re sorry!
Random guy across the aisle: Hey, At least you’d get great parking spots.
Me: Do you know how many people get killed out here doing stupid things like that?
Girls: We’re sorry!
Girl’s mother: Conductor, I have their tickets.
Me: And where were YOU when your daughters were dangling their legs off the platform?
Girl’s mother (defensive): Well...I TOLD them to stand up.
Random guy: ...and don’t forget, you’d get disabled rate on train tickets.
Ugh!
I still haven’t figured out if the random guy was being a jerk or was trying to make a point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On a train home from grand central tonight. Having a great conversation with an old friend. Laughing and catching up. A passenger behind me stands up, makes a scene and asks us to speak quieter. I reminder her that this isn’t the quiet car and we have an altercation. She said that she could hear her headphones over my talking. I have been on trains before with super loud patrons. I have never said a word. That’s just rude in my eyes. The passengers around seemed to agree with her when I asked them. How do I handle this in the future? I was very upset. I should be able to enjoy my time on metro north.