Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving

Lest I forget to be thankful that I have a good job...or any job for that matter (especially in this economy) here are a few reminders:



I took these photos a few weeks back, when Metro North was holding a "Career Fair" in Grand Central. The line of prospective employees ended here in Vanderbilt Hall:

But it was a long...



long....


long...
...line.
These resume bearing applicants were literally wrapped around the block and the building. The head of the line was in Vanderbilt Hall (42nd Stand Park Ave.), but its tail ended somewhere around 45th Street and Vanderbilt Ave.

I was once told, that at any given time, Metro North has 2500 applicants for each of their open conductor positions. After seeing this crowd...I believe it.
The next time I hear one of my ungrateful coworkers say "This job sucks," I'll show them these pictures and say... be thankful...be thankful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you should let me speak to that co-worker who does not appreciate his job because I'd be gladly to switch positions. I'd even give him a bad eye and a boring, sad story for what he had said. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

No wonder Metro-North has such great conductors - look how many people they have to choose from!

Anonymous said...

I don't think A/C was even one of the positions that was advertised on those career fair posters.

Had A/C been listed, the line would have stretched to Times Square.

If any of your fellow train crew members can no longer stand their jobs, I will gladly take over for them.

Bobby said...

NG,

You're right...I should have made that clear, conductor positions were not adverised at the "Career Fair."

The railroad has been hiring a ton of new conductors lately though...but they've been in the hiring process for a while now.

Anonymous said...

And yet I've been trying for over a year, have railroading experience, and am passed over. you bet I'd gladly replace someone who can't stand their job any more

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog one can tell you enjoy your career and appreciate the opportunities presented by your customers.

As a fellow conductor, I feel very fortunate to have a job that provides the variety of characters who ride the rails. Everyday brings a smile to my face from someone's comments, expressions, questions, and animations that our passengers provide.

Becky said...

Just a note...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7791278.stm

They're still inflicting pain (or at least doing what they're told!)

~Becky (friend of Justin's)